ANSWER: 1. Marriage
and in most cases 2. Biological fathers
CHILD ABUSE DEATHS IN THE PAST 17 MONTHS
(Info from police releases and media reports)
2. 3 year old Seini Unaloto Ikamunu North Shore died 6 Dec 2010. Seini Unaloto IKAMANU received a severe head injury at her Beach haven home on 24 March 2010. She died in Starship Hospital yesterday 6 December 2010. A 28 year old man was charged with murder.
3. Christchurch Newborn Dec 8 2010. A 27-year-old woman (mother) has been charged with the murder of a newborn baby after an incident in Christchurch overnight. The woman appeared in the Christchurch District Court this morning and was remanded in custody for psychiatric assessment, say police.
5. 5 month old Mikara Ranui Jarius Reti, Flaxmere 11 January 2011. 21-year-old man (not father) has been charged with manslaughter in relation to Mikara’s death. Trent Owen Ngaruhe Hapuku is accused of the manslaughter of Mikara Ranui Jarius Reti on January 11.
7. 1 week old Baby Afoa Otahuhu June 2, 2011. The baby’s mother, Kulukora Akau’ola, 22, from Otahuhu is facing a charge of murder. Christian Afoa, 29, from Mangere, was charged with disposing of the body to conceal its birth.
8. Auckland Newborn Ardmore July 18, 2011. The 21-year-old south Auckland woman pleaded guilty in September to one charge of disposing of the dead body of a child
10. 2 year old James Joseph Ruhe Lawrence Orakei November 14 2011. Police have revealed that a toddler died after suffering severe damage to his internal organs at an Auckland house. JJ lived at the Takitimu St house with his mother, Josephine Takutai Crystal Lawrence, 26, her partner and another couple with two infants. Police charged a 29-year-old Mangere man, a former Orakei resident, with JJ’s murder.
11. Two-month-old Hinekawa Topia 12 January 2012 Nobody charged yet.