Bay of Plenty Times 16 July 2012
Government agencies are failing those who need help most, a children’s advocate says. Family First national director Bob McCoskrie, who is based in the Western Bay, believes “at risk” families can not access the support they need, resulting in violence in the home. The call comes in response to a Bay of Plenty Times Weekend story about convicted child abuser Reuben Anthony Major.
Major pleaded guilty to five representative counts of assault on a child aged under 14, in the Tauranga District Court on Friday. “I think there’s a huge lack of access to support for parents and too often the response is after-the-fact,” Mr McCoskrie said. “We’ve stretched our resources so far, CYFs are overloaded and they’re not able to deal with cases like this that deserve more attention, and they go under the radar.”
Man guilty of unspeakable abuse
Bay of Plenty Times
A Bay man repeatedly beat five children in his home – including kicking them with steel-capped boots and using a plastic pipe – in a reign of terror lasting two years. …He described a home environment involving violence, drug use, drunkenness and verbal abuse.