TVNZ One News 27 September 2016
A pre-game protest is planned against Wellington Rugby’s decision to keep on a player who was discharged without conviction following attacks on four people, including two women, in one night.
Under-19 winger Losi Filipo had been charged with assault following an incident in central Wellington in October last year, when he was 17 and still at secondary school.
Meanwhile, Family First said today that it was requesting an appeal of the sentence.
READ MORE: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/rugby/pre-game-protest-planned-after-wellington-rugby-player-bashed-four-people-escapes-conviction
Rugby star Losi Filipo’s victim living a nightmare after late-night punch
NZ Herald 27 September 2016
One of the women felled by a punch from a Wellington representative rugby player says her face is permanently scarred by the brutal attack and she’s too scared to walk to her local shops.
Her comments come as a family group say they will appeal the decision to discharge Losi Filipo without conviction.
Today a national family organisation weighed in saying it would be writing to the Solicitor General to appeal the sentence.
Family First national director Bob McCroskrie said the sentence set a dangerous precedent and undermined a community resolve to stamp out violence.
“This case involved significant violence towards both males and females. To be discharged without conviction is insulting and pathetic, and communicates that punishments and consequences will be determined by who you are rather than what you did,” said McCoskrie.
READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11717645
Officials’ support for Losi Filipo ‘disgraceful’
NewsHub 27 September 2016
The Solicitor-General is looking into the case of Wellington Lions rugby player Losi Filipo following an outcry over him being discharged without conviction.
In a response to a letter from Family First, in which they ask for an appeal of Judge Bruce Davidson’s sentence, Crown Law says it is now “looking into this matter”.
It would not comment further.
The letter, signed by national director Bob McCoskrie, calls the outcome of the case “pathetic”.
In a one-line statement, police have told Newshub they will “take time” to consider the outcome of the court process.
READ MORE: http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/officials-support-for-losi-filipo-disgraceful-2016092708
Solicitor-General ‘looking into’ Filipo discharge
NewsTalk ZB 27 September 2016
The Solicitor-General’s office says it is looking into the discharge of a young rugby player without conviction after attacks on four people, including two women, in one night.
On Tuesday, a spokeswoman for Crown Law said the Solicitor-General had become aware of the case in the last day due to media attention.
“We are now looking into this matter and will not be commenting further at this time,” she said.
Earlier, lobby group Family First said they would be writing to the Solicitor- General asking for an appeal, saying the sentence sent a dangerous message.
READ MORE: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/solicitor-general-looking-into-filipo-discharge/
Crown Law weighs in
Wellington Rugby terminates Losi Filipo’s contract after assault case outrage
Stuff.co.nz 27 September 2016
Wellington Rugby and Losi Filipo have announced that they have mutually agreed to the termination of his contract.
Filipo, 18, withdrew himself from the Wellington Lions 2016 Mitre 10 Cup squad on Tuesday in a move that Wellington Rugby said he hoped would go some way towards helping the victims of his assault move on with their lives.
It came at the end of a day of increasing pressure on the union from the public and from the victims of the assault.
The solicitor-general confirmed her office would investigate the circumstances behind Filipo being let off assault charges.
But on Tuesday Crown Law confirmed it would investigate the case.
That came after Family First wrote to Solicitor-General Una Jagose requesting an appeal of the decision by Crown Law.
READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/84686129/assault-victim-calls-for-wellington-rugby-to-drop-losi-filipo